Each year, Milwaukee’s ReStores raise hundreds of thousands of dollars to build safe, affordable homes in our community through the resale of donated items. We welcome individuals, corporations, community groups, faith congregations, and many more to give their time in our resale stores/donation centers in Wauwatosa, Walker’s Point and Greenfield.
Flexible volunteer positions are available every Monday through Saturday in a variety of roles to help keep the ReStores running smoothly. Opportunities include cashiering, decorating, picking up donations and processing donations. We can find the perfect position that matches your interests and skills.
Our most frequently asked questions:
What do ReStore volunteers do?
Volunteers at the ReStore take on many roles, including cashiering, donation processing, sales and customer service, merchandising and furniture staging, picking up donations on our trucks, and assisting in Deconstruction operations.
Do I need to have experience?
While experience is always helpful in finding a role that suits you best, you don’t need experience in retail or donations to join our volunteer team. There’s a project for everyone!
When can I volunteer?
Volunteer shifts are: 10AM - 2PM and 2PM - 4PM Monday through Friday and 10AM - 1PM and 1PM - 4PM on Saturdays.
Do I need to bring anything?
Supplies and safety equipment are provided by Habitat. Volunteers should also bring a lunch and water bottle. Closed toed tennis shoes or boots are required.
Are there any restrictions on how old people can be to volunteer at the ReStore?
ReStore volunteers must be 16 to volunteer as individuals. Volunteers aged 14-15 may volunteer with parental supervision or if they are coming with a group that brings working chaperones. Some tasks are restricted to those 18 & over. Learn more about the ways youth can be involved by visiting our Hammer Free Volunteering Page.
Where are the ReStore locations?
Please contact Nichali Xhelili Ciaccio, ReStore Volunteer Coordinator, at firstname.lastname@example.org or 414-316-5619.
Next steps for new individual volunteers:
- Create an account in our online volunteer system.
- At the end of the process of creating an account you can immediately sign up for an orientation. ReStore orientations are conducted on-site and are offered several times per week.
- After successful completion of the orientation and a background check (done prior to the orientation by Habitat) you can then sign up for volunteer opportunities.
- Every volunteer day makes a difference and so you can commit to only one day or volunteer more regularly!
- We do offer volunteer opportunities for individuals with school or court-ordered community service hours. Individuals wishing to do court ordered community service with Habitat are required to do so at our ReStores.
Next step for new ReStore groups:
- To start the process group leaders fill out our group interest form. We’ll reach out to you after you complete this form.
- Group size is generally 8-12 people depending on the task, and larger groups are possible with advanced planning.
- Group volunteer days require a minimum commitment of three hours.
- Due to the nature of ReStore operations, we require an adult chaperone for every five students 17 years or younger.
- After your workday is set, a confirmation email with details is sent including times, location, parking, what to bring, etc. Your group members will then individually sign up via our online system which includes signing our waiver.